Wednesday, June 16, 2010

my first few days in los banos

Today's my fourth day in Los Banos, Laguna. I'm surprised that I am not missing Davao as much as I have expected myself to be. Maybe because of the climate (it's unusually hot here like in Davao, I was expecting a cooler temperature) and the sight at my window (which reminds me of how green Davao City is, amidst the urbanization, though it's much greener here). 

When I arrived here in the dormitory, I immediately experienced the discomfort of choosing a room in the third floor. Good thing my brother accompanied me and helped me bring my things to my room. The room was full of dust and cobwebs. I didn't let the day pass without cleaning the room since I really really really don't like sleeping inside a dirty room (and using a dirty bathroom). But before I cleaned my room, my brother, together with my classmate and her sister, and I went shopping for things we need inside our rooms. I wasn't able to buy a table since my feet sored after hours of looking for things and walking from Robinson's to a nearby store and vice versa. It was rather discomforting on my part because unlike in Davao, the groceries here are packed inside brown paper bags or cartons and there are no taxicabs here. So we went back to the dormitory riding tricycles. So I cleaned my room and partially finished arranging my things. 

On the second day, I went somewhere to buy a table. I only rode a jeepney to get home with my table. Good thing the main road wasn't really that far from my dorm.  I finished cleaning up my room that day.

Yesterday, my classmate's sister took my classmate and me to UPLB so that we could have our lunch at IRRI (I don't know the meaning of the acronym but it is a reasearch institute for rice).  We had to walk to get there, and I got sunburned again. But it was all worth it since the food in IRRI's canteen is delicious and cheap! We then went to the Chemical Engineering Department to finish our enrollment for the review. We talked to Ma'am Mila (the Secretary) and she shared a lot of experiences with the past reviewees.  She said the reviewees from places other than Manila were the more successful ones.  She even jokingly told us that she could see it in our faces that we could top the board exam. Haha... What a good source of inspiration. :P

Today, I'm a bum. My classmate and her sister is in Manila. I was supposed to go together with them but I've decided to postpone my Manila trip to next Sunday because I guess I really have to spend some time here in my room first and adjust to the environment plus I should save money. 

My review is on Monday-Saturday. Mondays and Saturdays will be whole day sessions while the sessions on Tuesdays to Fridays will only be on the evening. Talk about brain overuse. The review will officially start on Tuesday. We will have our orientation and a pretest on Monday.  Ma'am Mila told us not to study for the pretest, so I won't. I will just be enjoying my last few days relaxing and adjusting.

To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment